Iceland enter this summer’s World Cup with nothing to lose. They are already performing at a level that is far above what you would expect and continue to defy the odds with fantastic displays of rugged and effective football.
They find themselves in the so-called ‘group of death’ alongside Nigeria, Croatia and Argentina. It is a tough group, without question, but Iceland have surprised everybody before and may just do it again in Russia.
Iceland 23-man World Cup squad
Iceland’s World Cup squad has been announced and here it is in full:
- Goalkeepers: Hannes Bor Halldorson, Runar Alex Runarsson, Frederik Schram
- Defenders: Birkir Mar Saevarsson, Ragnar Sigurosson, Kari Arnason, Ari Freyr Skulason, Svevrrir Ingi Ingason, Horour Bjorgvin Mangusson, Holmar Orn Eyjolfsson, Samuel Friojonsson
- Midfielders: Aron Gunnarsson (captain), Birkir Bjarnason, Johann Berg Guomundsson, Emil Hallfreosson, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Rurik Gislason, Olafur Ingi Skulason, Arnor Ingvi Traustason, Albert Guomundsson
- Forwards: Alfreo Finnbogason, Jon Daol Boovarsson, Bjorn Bergmann Siguroarson
Iceland World Cup 2018 Starting Eleven Prediction
Obviously we don’t know for sure what Iceland’s starting eleven will be, but the following is our prediction:
- Hannes Halldorson
- Birkir Mar Saevarsson
- Ragnar Sigurosson
- Johann Berg Guomundsson
- Birkir Bjarnason
- Gylfi Sigurdsson
- Kari Arnason
- Aron Gunnarsson (captain)
- Horour Bjorgvin Mangusson
- Emil Hallfreosson
- Jon Daol Boovarsson
We will all be looking forward to Iceland’s opener against Argentina on 16th June!