Richie Porte is one of the riders participating in Tour de France 2018. More than that, he’s one of our favourites and we predict him good results. Here are the key details about him if the name doesn’t ring a bell yet:
- Born in Tasmania, Australia on the 30th January 1985 (33 years-old)
- Rides for the BMC Racing Team
- An all-rounder with particularly good climbing skills
- Two-time Paris-Nice winner
- 2017 Tour de Romandie winner
- 2018 Tour de Suisse winner
Richie Porte is a cyclist in form, of that there is no question. The Australian recently picked up the biggest win of his career. It was a general classification victory in Tour De Suisse.
This is fantastic preparation for Tour De France, make no mistake about it. Porte said after the race:
“I did a good race here. I’m not at the top of my form just yet so I am excited for July.”
Everything is pointing to a strong performance from Porte at this year’s Tour De France. Just read below and you’ll see what we have in mind.
Richie Porte Prediction Tour de France
Chris Froome has won the Tour De France four times in the last five years, a quite remarkable achievement. However, some are predicting an end to his reign.
Can Porte be the rider who takes the yellow jersey from Froome? Considering his current form, Porte is definitely in with a chance.
Porte has stated that he doesn’t currently feel at the top of his game.
However, there is no denying that this year offers a terrific opportunity for Porte to finally win. He is confident and coming off a great general classification victory at the Tour de Suisse.
Porte is a brilliant all-rounder and an excellent climber, as he showed in Tour de Suisse. The stage seems set for Porte. He can finally on his Grand Tour performances and push for the yellow jersey.
So, act now on Tour De France betting markets. In our opinion, a bet on Porte winning the yellow jersey is definitely worth considering.
Richie Porte Cyclist Odds
Richie Porte odds are the best of all riders in the general classification. The only exception if Chris Froome, of course. He still is at the top, but others like Porte are on his heels.
There are even markets without Froome where Porte is the most likely competitor to win. But he doesn’t dominate the sports betting market. His odds are highest only for that yellow jersey.
Here are some examples of his odds at various sites:
Tour de France winner odds: 4/1 to 5/1
Tour de France winner without Froome odds: 15/8 to 5/2
King of the mountains winner odds: 37/1 to 50/1
Points classification winner odds: 600/1
Tour de France top 3 finish odds: 5/6 to 23/20 odds
If you’re still unsure what Porte is capable of, take a look into his career achievements. The rider is competing since 2008, so he has quite a lot of experience already.
Richie Porte Career Achievements
Richie Porte’s professional cycling career began in the 2008 cycling season. He raced for the UCI Continental team Praties for two seasons. He didn’t achieve anything spectacular in the early years though.
Porte’s career really took off in 2010. That’s when he signed a contract with Team Saxo Bank for two seasons. He began his time with the team in style. He even won the young general classification at the Giro d’Italia.
- In 2012 he joined Team Sky. At that time, Porte played the role of super-domestique. He did a fantastic job and was an integral part of Team Sky in 2012 and 2013.
- He cycled as a domestique for Bradley Wiggins in 2012, as Wiggins won the Tour de Romandie and Tour De France. In 2013, he played the same role for Chris Froome who won Tour De France that year.
- In 2013, Porte won the yellow jersey at Paris-Nice. In 2015, he did the same feat again. After 2015 season, Porte signed with BMC Racing team, who he currently rides for.
- 2016 was a mixed year for Porte. He started the year well but struggled during the course of it. He finished a very respectable fifth in the general classification of Tour De France 2016. This is currently his best finish at a Grand Tour.
2017 brought a yellow jersey win at the Tour de Romandie. But aside from that, 2017 was generally disappointing for Porte. Let’s see if he can do better this time than he did in 2016.
Richie Porte is among the main contenders to take the yellow jersey from Chris Froome. So Richie Porte winning odds at sports betting sites aren’t wrong.